Why do certain technologies become popular in some countries and not others?
Do we always use the technologies that are the best for the job or just the ones that are popular?
Why are a majority of interviews just talking heads?
And, of course, what does all this mean to me?
Being presented with two articles by Kevin Kelly on The Technium http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/ we have been given the opportunity to think about the questions above and explore the ideas they evoke.
Thinking on why certain technologies prevail in certain parts of the world while failing in another leads me to recall a book I read a few years ago titled Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. The basic premise is that certain ethnic groups were going to gain wealth and power in the world due to certain chains of developments that allowed them the ability to make guns, fight germs and create steel (I am oversimplifying here but I'm sure you understand why!). Of course, as Kelly points out in his article, sometimes it's just a matter of doing what we've always done; what everyone else in our "tribe" does. How does this impact my life? Well, when looking at social networking technologies, I can see myself falling into the habit of using what is not only familiar but also what my friends use (my tribe). I am more prone to using Facebook than Twitter, even though I would spend much less time on Twitter due to it's nature, merely because more of my friends and family do. I'm sure others could find such examples in their own life.
As for the article on interviews, it was great to see a different approach to conducting an interview with the words spoken in the interview on screen instead of just the talking heads. My first thought at this was that it would be cold and hard to relate to but I actually found I paid more attention, mainly due to the fact that as there was writing on the screen I had to read it! And I think because this interview wasn't a personal, emotional one like on a talk show, you didn't feel like you were missing out on any facial expressions or gestures that would help to understand the interview better. On a side note, maybe it was the white text on the black screen but it did kinda remind me of being back at school with the teacher writing on the chalk board.
I know this entry turned into more of a personal experience but I felt it important to get my own thoughts down before I go and explore others - that way I can look back and see which thoughts were my own.
No comments:
Post a Comment